Skip to content

NZ Parliament tackled about illegal SIS raids on Fiji citizens

September 4, 2013

Last year’s raid by the SIS on several Fijian citizens living in New Zealand has resurfaced with an MP disclosing today it was carried out under the Terrorism Suppression Act at the request of the military dictatorship.

PETERS: Asking questions.

The New Zealand First leader, Winston Peters, has questioned the National-led government about the July raids that centered on a supposed assassination plot to kill Fiji’s coup leader, Frank Bainimarama.

A short time ago, Peters asked the House if the SIS, which is overseen by the prime minister John Key, and Key himself, to explain why the intelligence service “claimed it had credible evidence of the plot when the New Zealand government later backed down when sued in the High Court for matters arising from the raid.”

Peters also asked: “Why a week before Foreign Minister McCully visited Fiji, did his government engage in an illegal raid at the behest of the dictatorial regime in Fiji, if it wasn’t an attempt to ingratiate itself with the Fiji military regime?”

The deputy leader, Bill English, was unable to answer Peters questions, claiming he couldn’t discuss the operational matters undertaken by the SIS and that it was a matter for Key since he’s the Minister responsible.

The speaker of the house, David Carter, also failed to shed

SINGH: Falsely accused.

satisfactory light on the illegal raids saying he accepted English’sanswer.

Peters, who is known for his dogged determination to getinformation, ended his questions with the comment that he can prove it was an illegal raid and challenging Carter about letting English get away without answering.

“… that cannot be the way democracy in this country has been conducted in the past and I hope it’s not the way it’s going to be done in the future.”

The former SDL MP, Rajesh Singh, was one of several people visited by the SIS who asked about a supposed assassination plot hatched in Auckland during a visit by the former 3FIR commander, Roko Ului Mara.

When did Key become dictator’s new bestie? see link below

Singh told C4.5 at the time the SIS took his cell phone and his daughter’s laptop, both of which were later returned.

Both Singh Mara dismissed the SIS allegations with Singh later taking action to clear his name. He wrote to the Ombudsman and the director general of the SIS and had a reply from the former but not the latter.

He says the New Zealand government went quiet and John Key’s so-called ‘credible evidence’ was lies.

Another individual implicated in the unproven plot took High Court action against the New Zealand Government, in particular the Minister of Internal Affairs, but has discontinued his proceedings and is now seeking costs.

The court judgement prohibits naming the claimant publicly, but C4.5 is aware of who he is.

C4.5 also questioned the SIS information and the sudden cosiness between Key and Bainimarama at the time of the raids, as did those who were singled out. See earlier stories below.

Source – Coupfourpointfive; Posted by Rusi Varani for SWM
Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: